Thursday 26 May 2011

A New Doctor

This morning I had an appointment with my new GP. For some reason I just never felt comfortable with my previous doctor which of course is by no means his fault I just don't get on with some people and unfortunately he was one such person. When you have to spend so much time with doctors it's best to find one you can interact fully with so decided to see another doctor this time. And I'm glad I did. This one even smiles!!! Seriously he's the first person I've actually seen smile in this surgery... 
Any who the main reason for this particular appointment wasn't particularly epilepsy related (for once...)! After speaking to my E. nurse a couple of weeks ago about the pain I had whilst running and feeling so sleepy a lot of the time rather than just tired she told me that it wasn't very likely to be related to the 2000mg's of Keppra I'm currently taking and to run it past my GP. 

During the appointment in true epilepsy fashion I completely forgot what I was even there for which meant it took quite a while for me to actually explain what was going on. Thankfully I had written it all down on a bit of paper this morning... another habit I have had to get into. It's works though! When I was asked to stand on the scales I also had an absence seizure. Haaa best place I suppose. I still shocks me though when I realise that they've happened. I was sitting down at his desk with him sat opposite me then the next thing I know he's saying my name at me from the other side of the room stood next to the scales that he was wanting me to stand on... very strange. I'm going to put it down to being nervous. Anyway worryingly I found out I've lost pretty much a stone since my neurology appointment in April. Now usually most women would be pleased... but I'm not exactly over the moon about it. I've always been a bit overweight and for years and years have tried a million ways to lose a little weight but it just never happened. For as long as I can remember I've been pretty active with anything from Taekwondo, kayaking, scaling mountains and just walking as much as I can along with eating a reasonably healthy diet in all ways. So I new I was healthy, got over the weight issues and decided I was "happy the way I was". But back to the present and it seems to be falling off me and strangely if anything I'm doing less because I have to sleep so much. And well it goes without saying really that seizures kind of put a dampener on active energy needing parts of life! I have to admit I am a little bit uneasy about it.
I've now been sent for a fasting blood test next week. Fabulous yet more needle stabbing. Now I'm just hoping they're all OK :) He didn't seem particularly concerned so I'm going to take that as a very good thing! 

I also had some basic neuro tests done again. The usual thing where they get that little hammer thing out and tap it on your joint to tests your reflex's. I always find this embarrassing as I CANNOT STAND things to do with knees. I don't know why it's just one of those things.. so inevitably I turn into a cringing child when it comes to testing knee reflexes. How embarrassing :/ Then the pen light thing came out and got flashed in my eyes. Although when he was busy blinding me he suddenly asked when my MRI was... to which I replied in a couple of weeks. OK good was his response... now I'm not going to get over stressy about this but WHY did he ask that??.. Hmmm. I'll try to forget about that for now though.

Ahhh so that's yet another test to look forward too aswell as an MRI and EEG. Fab..!

Well given that my dress for the May Ball which is taking place tomorrow night (EXCITED!!!) is now too big for me I'm off to see if I can swap it for a smaller size if not then I shall be pinning myself into it haha. Eeee I can't wait to dress up hehe! 

Have a lovely day :)

1 comment:

  1. have fun dressing up- I hope you share some photos with us.

    ReplyDelete