Friday 1 May 2015

Seizures + Endocrinology

Urgh the last few days have been rough. A seizure hit at about 6am in the morning on Wednesday. I knew it was coming as unusually for me I was struggling to sleep and constantly waking up feeling sickly and generally "not right". In the end I got fed up of dozing so thought I'd take a cool shower in the hope of feeling a little better. But in the space it took for me to get out of the shower and get dressed before putting my seizure alarm back on. Bam. I was waking up on the bathroom floor with a very sore shoulder. Lucky for me I didn't hit my head this time so that's a plus! My seizure was accompanied by a Migraine for the rest of Wednesday and into Thursday. Today I'm feeling almost back to my normal self though :)

Anyway what I was intending to write about was the problem I seem to have with my blood sugars. I'll try to explain. 

Since I altered my diet to low carb and eating little every 2-3 hours I've seen a little decrease in my seizures which is amazing. This is in comparison with a standard diet of 3 meals a day. Now we're trying to find out why this seems to be an issue.

On various occasions on admittance to hospital for seizures, when my blood sugars have been checked they have come up with low readings. Now was the question "which came first, the seizures of the low blood sugar?" and this is what my doctors are trying to determine. 

When your blood sugars drop too low your body sends out a adrenaline response (usually seen as tremor and shaking) My theory is that, because my seizure threshold is lower due to having Epilepsy my adrenalin response comes in the form of a seizure as well as the usual signs and symptoms. Now it might be that they drop too low or the drop too fast. I'm no doctor though but after discussing this with my Neurologist he seemed to agree that this might be an issue and sent me to see a Endocrinologist. My first appointment with him was a long one. He too listened to my views and after discussing everything to do with my general health, seizures and the effect of changing my diet he agreed that this definitely needs investigating. I left his office feeling confident, listened to and taken seriously.

I received his request for me to be admitted to hospital for a test within two weeks of seeing him. I wrote about it  **Here** . I'm waiting to hear about another test he wants to perform soon as well. 

For now each night before I go to sleep or before significant exercise I am to check my blood sugars to make sure they are at a level of 5.8 or higher. This then gives me a buffer through the night so as my energy is used sleeping the sugars will drop but hopefully not below 4.0. Now this is not really THAT low of a number but it seems to be a bit of a floor for me so as long as I stay above it the less seizures I tend to have. 

I do have to say though that this certainly won't give me any answers in the form of a cure as with most of my seizures my blood sugars are well within the normal limits. I'm ok with that though having less seizures is a pretty good start! 

Well that's me done for a little while as 5am tomorrow morning I'm waking up to go on an adventure with my medic family. It's my first major duty out of our county so we're staying away for the weekend. I can't wait to see what the time brings... hopefully not too many patients and absolutely no seizures please?! X 

3 comments:

  1. The problem of Epilepsy(seizure) affected my one year old child, and it do come at night,i tried giving my baby different medication,but there was no improvement,i search on the INTERNET and i got the contact of doctor Alegbe john i make him know the problem my child is passing and that was how i got his product which i used on my child to cure his epilepsy sickness, now my baby is sound and health since two years and and a month now he has never experience it again,so i will want every mothers and any one with such problem to also contact Dr A legbe to get the cure. on alegbe3@gmail.com or call +2349027116105

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great post! -This provides good insight.You might also be interested to know more about generating more leads and getting the right intelligence to engage prospects.pegasimediagroupimplements new lead gen ideas and strategies for generating more leads and targeting the right leads and accounts.Endocrinology email list

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I BECAME CURED OF THIS DISGRACEFUL ATTACK


    My name is Mrs. Jane once a victim of epilepsy. I have suffered this attack at different occasion and has also brought me series of disgrace all through the places i go to parties, churches, my kitchen, and public places especially in the market. On a very cool and relaxing afternoon, I was only trying to do a surf on how to get a cure for my disease can be actualized when i sudden discovered a link on google which i clicked and eventually arrived at a place on the page i clicked and started reading some interesting write up of how a swift cure for my disease can be procured. Thereafter, I clicked on an email of the body/group in an hospital here in the states handling the issues of the cure of this disease am affected with in view. In a nutshell, I eventually came to Temple Dc where i met with the medical personnel who has changed my life now because my disease has been finally cured. I have now become a happy woman forever without fear of the attack anymore. please contact him on this email at dreddyemora@gmail.com for swift advice. Thanks to Dr Eddyemora.

    ReplyDelete