Sunday 24 May 2015

A Hospital Birthday

My birthday this year didn't exactly go to plan. This was the delightful view I was staring at as the clock struck midnight and signified me entering my 26th year on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Tuesday lunch time I suffered a seizure in which I banged the back of my head pretty hard along with bruising and grazing my ribs.

Initially had no intentions on gracing the corridors of my local hospital with my presence but my body wasn't having any of that. I simply wasn't recovering at a "normal" rate. My head was banging, body aching and beyond tired but that's all normal. I saw a doctor during that afternoon for a quick check over of my injuries and for him to make a note of the fact I couldn't walk properly - I wasn't very well balanced. He did a quick check over and deemed me fine. We got back to my place and I took a nap but when I woke up again the vomiting started. Never a good sign when you've had a knock to the head. I still will do anything to avoid hospitals so rang NHS direct for advice on wether I needed to see someone again or if I could just stay home and ride it out. Unfortunately they told me to go straight to hospital to be seen. It's fair enough as you can never be too careful with a head injury - I'm just stubborn.

It took a few attempts to get an IV line in which is actually quite a good number for me especially as I was dehydrated. It also took a few different anti-sicknesses to finally stop me vomiting (lovely) I'm not 100% sure what they tried or what the final one was but it sure did burn my veins from the inside! At the time I couldn't care less though as it worked and I was finally able to keep my Epilepsy medication down. 

I'm very glad I had a friend there with me the whole time. She and her mum responded to my alarm and she didn't leave my side from then on! I was found unconscious in the middle of the kitchen floor. I think I was initially after a cup of tea!

Thankfully I didn't have any more big seizures so I was discharged during the morning and slept most of the day in my own bed. I did make it out for a lovely meal with a group of friends for my birthday and they came around to mine for a catch up and some cake after. So all in all despite a really rubbish start I had a surprisingly nice birthday! 

Now I'm just slowly getting over concussion. My head is still bruised along with my ribs but nothing long lasting so I'm ok with that and thankfully my walking is back to normal again. X 

1 comment: