Sunday 22 May 2011

A Failed Promise and Big Achievement

Last night I told myself that I will have to get back into running again if I'm going to manage running the Race For Life at the end of next month. The thing is since the strange occurence the last time I went running a couple of weeks ago I've been scared to go again for worrying that I'll have to go through that - weird completely out of the blue - pain again. (I'm seeing a GP on Thursday to try and find out what on earth caused it.) I went to sleep promising myself that today I would just get it over with and go for a quick run to the next village and back. But this morning I didn't wake up until 11:30 in the morning!! That's nearly 12 hours straight asleep and not once do I remember waking up which is just unthinkable for me! I never sleep anywhere near that long or without waking up a least a few times a night. I must have needed it. With that amount of rest you'd think I would have had plenty of energy stored to go for a run. But no, I'm shattered! My body feels heavy as lead. All I've managed today is a bit of tidying, a walk down the road to pick up some milk and a whole load of lying down.

BUT there is a MASSIVE plus side to this. It's my body that's tired, not my mind so in the hours I've spent lying down over the past couple of days I've actually managed to do some reading. OK so this would mean absolutely nothing to most people but I can't tell you how happy this makes me feel! It's like I've suddenly re-discovered an old passion. But it's not one that I gave up on purpose... I had no choice.  Since developing Epilepsy and in particular absence seizures my memory and ability to absorb and store information has been absolutely terrible. This being one of the main reasons I had to stop studying at university for the time being. I can't believe it, for far to long the idea of me reading even the most simplest of texts was almost laughable and I can't believe that just a short time ago it was pretty much impossible! Being able to just lie and read chapter and chapter without falling asleep and actually remember the stories the words are telling is fabulous and in turn a brilliant stress relief. Now I'm just hoping that it stays with me. Thank You medicine!

Hopefully I get those running shoes on tomorrow... *fingers crossed*

Hope the weekend has been lovely for you :)

1 comment: