Saturday 19 February 2011

Vapour.

Over the last few nights while trying to sleep I've been finding myself trying to think of metaphors to describe what it's like to live with this 'tense atmosphere' hanging over you at all times. The term metaphor was very much used when it came to my description of my work, came up in my assessment and keeps appearing in research I've been looking into. As I lay there I struggled with trying to come up with anything itself. Which then lead me to wondering how much the medicine I take may well be dampening my brain as it were. Especially when it comes to creativity. The following morning after a shower I went to look into the mirror but of course it was covered with condensation from the steam which rendered my reflection unrecognisable. And bam it hit me. There was a metaphor right in front of my face. The brain dampening affect of my medicine, the slightly hazy outlook on future and the misty state of confusion that follows a seizure, amongst other things, all seemed to come together when staring at my unrecognisable reflection in the mirror.

It's funny how things come to you. The amount of times I must have gone to look in the mirror after showering and not once did it ever occur to me how much it could represent!

So mist as a metaphor. It works for me, well for now at least. I'll play around with the idea see what comes up :)

This is a photograph I took earlier today with these ideas in mind. The bathroom window as condensation clings to the surface of the patterned glass obscuring the outside view.
I suppose it would be a good idea to actually play around with photographing the mirror itself... I feel some serious experimentation coming up!!


No comments:

Post a Comment