Saturday 23 April 2011

Update on revised diet

I just got back from a mini health food shopping session so now seems to be a good time to update my little  revised diet thing...

So a while ago I posted on some dietary changes I've gradually made since being diagnosed in November. The main aim I suppose is to balance my blood sugars, significantly lower caffeine intake and just generally eat a little healthier. In turn I'm hoping that these adjustments will have an affect on my seizures in making them less freuquent etc. I don't have any cause for my Epilepsy as of yet, although I have tests coming up I'm not likely to ever find a cause. Anything from caffiene to un-stable blood sugars may affect the brain and in turn seizures. So eliminating anything that could be aiding seizures is all I have to work on :) Plus feeling healthier is a brilliant pick-me-up when your feeling a little low and dosed up with powerful medicine!

PLENTY OF:
  • Fresh vegetables
  • Fresh fruit
  • Fish
  • Milk
  • Yoghurt
  • White meat
  • Water
  • Green Tea/ Tea in general (literally have to have tea in my life...!)
  • Seeds/Nuts
NO:
  • Bread
  • Sweets (chocolates' more my thing anyway :p) 
  • Caffeinated coffee
  • Energy drinks
  • Carbonated drinks
  • Extra sugar on/in anything
  • Alcohol (except on very rare occasions)

IN MODERATION:
  • GF/WF pasta
  • Red meat
  • Potatoes
  • GF/ WF Cereal
  • Fresh fruit juice (although it is naturally high in sugar so not brilliant for sugar levels)
  • Dark Chocolate (If I could not eat it all together I would, but I'm not a miracle worker...!)
  • Sweet snacks (like cake and biscuits GF if possible)

 These GF/WF coconut macaroons have got to be my favourite sweet treat at the moment.. yum!

    I say Gluten Free (GF) and Wheat Free (WF) because there is something in food like bread, pasta, cake that causes me extreme pain in my stomach which is horrible plus that sort of food makes me very very tired and sluggish something I really don't need on top of taking energy sapping medicine.

    Now I'm not saying I'll stick to this with military precision... after all I am a student living off not much money, there is partying to do and as much as I'm horrified to say it healthy food is expensive... !! But every little helps and putting myself on a very strict diet will just be setting myself up for failure! Small changes are definitely the way to go :D!

    1 comment:

    1. Jade,
      Thanks for your comment on Living Well. I reached out to NYCPE and will post the info on my blog if I hear from them.
      Best,
      Jessica

      ReplyDelete