Friday 29 April 2011

The problem with a wish to travel.

I had an energy less day yesterday so felt a bit icky :( how rubbish ! But it did leave me with a lot of time to think and today after going for a little stroll around the village earlier I feel I need to write it down. So came a little surprisingly long ramble on after some rather deep contemplation in regards to that ever niggling need to travel... :)

I don't know whether its the lovely weather we've had here in the last few weeks or me having a little more time on my hands but recently my need for a change of scene and to travel somewhere has become a massive urge!!! I constantly catch myself day dreaming about disappearing off somewhere. While I was visiting my mum's a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across all my 'travel gear' in a pile in a storage shed. The first thing I did was pick up one of my huge rucksack's and hugged it... not the most 'normal' of behaviours... :) I do have my reasons though! Seeing my stuff brings back some incredible memories from not so long ago and it makes my heart ache with a wish to go back to those times of less worry and plenty of adventure.

I have been extremely lucky to have travelled to some truly inspiring places including Egypt, The Gambia  and the awe inspiring French Alps amongst others with my family. When I finished college after just turning 18 myself and two friends decided to travel Europe for a month. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. We each bought an 28 day 'interrail' ticket (which is basically one train ticket for the whole of Europe!!!), booked a flight over to Berlin packed our back packs, bought a Europe travel book and map and went. No specific plans or anything just new we where flying to Berlin and had booked a hostel for a few nights. Where we went after that was completely up in the air until the specific date we where flying back from Prague a month later.  During our stay in each place we visited we'd gather around the map pick a country and figure out when and what train we needed to catch to get there,book a hostel for that particular place and off we'd go. Spontaneity at its best <3 In the end we visited many different countries and fascinating cities. Including Poland, my mum is Polish so to visit somewhere that is well and truly in my blood was amazing. All in all our trip was just incredible. 
One place I'm thinking of visiting for a few days is Paris. I've read quite a few blog posts recently of peoples travels to Paris *Big Sigh* I visited there back in November for the first time since I was a little girl. Paris Post . Needless to say I LOVED IT. It was a university trip we took as a course to visit various arty events that were taking place at the time including Paris Photo! I was pretty poorly at the time so as much as had a really brilliant time my energy levels we're pretty shocking and there was a lot of things I could have done to make the trip even more better but unfortunately couldn't. Now the sun is shining I can just imagine wondering around the beautiful streets and cultured bustling markets.I am extremely lucky that living in Britain means Paris is literally a couple of train journeys or a short flight away. :D Paris is just one place I would LOVE to visit but there are plenty of cities that I have never visited before that intrigue me just as much maybe Rome? I imagine that would be fantastic. 

I also now seem to have a little more control over my Tonic-Clonic seizures which are the ones that obviously cause me the most problems but nowhere near full control so the idea of travelling does ring slight alarm bells... but it can definitely be done!

Of course there are slight issues to deal with... the main one being travel insurance. With this whole Uncontrolled Epilepsy thing hanging over at all times trying to find some that I can actually afford and covers me should the worst happen is a huge task. (That and I need to find some money from somewhere...) Another is that I can't go by myself. I'm not there yet. I can't imagine waking up after a seizure in an unknown city on some foreign country... it's frightening enough in my own  home! Plus I have always been someone to believe that it's always better to travel with someone so they are always there with you to recall memories from that place. It doesn't matter how much you try to explain somewhere or something to someone. If they were not there to experience it they'll never truly understand how that moment felt. So someone to share these experiences with is very valuable to me :)

Anywhooo I don't really mind where somewhere else is I just really need to go! Preferably overseas though... :D I'll carry on day dreaming for now though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment