Tuesday 26 July 2011

New meds finally here..

Well I finally had my prescription for my new medicine Lacosamide (tradename Vimpat) filled by the chemist today. I was supposed to start them last week but after handing in in my prescription and attempting to pick it up two times I was told that this particular medicine doesn't happen to be prescribed here very often, which did suprise me slightly but then that be something to do with the dose? Maybe? Meh.

The pharmacy told me that they had called around various stock houses in the UK and had located some up in Warrington which happens to be nearly 200 miles away... and it would be at least a few days before it will arrive at my local pharmacy. I hadn't heard anything from them almost a week on though..

This morning I went back to the pharmacy to hand over my prescription for my other medicine and thought I'd ask if they'd heard anything about the Lacosamide. The lady I spoke to was VERY surprised I still hadn't received the new meds even after a week. She said she'd give them a ring to find out what was going on. So there I was stood awkwardly amongst others silently waiting for their medicine when the lady got rather angry with whoever she was talking with on the phone ( a few odd looks were passed between us waiting) and two minutes later she returned. She said she was very sorry but the warehouse where the nearest batch was, had got the order wrong when the pharmacy had rang them a week ago and they were sending one of their drivers down in a van to deliver them as soon as possible. Bless that lady she must have said something right! That's nearly 400 miles there and back that someone then had to drive to get the Lacosamide to me. I couldn't thank her enough! Low and behold this afternoon I received a phone call from the pharmacist saying that my medicine had finally arrived and off I went to pick them up. I had a little consultation with the pharmacist who went through all the side effects etc slightly nerve wracking but hey...  so *THANK YOU* lovely lady :D

Anywho I've now got it right in front of me and I am about to start my dose at 25mg per day and will increase it gradually over the next month. It's back to that bitter sweet feeling again. Bitter in that it'll probably mean feeling awful for the next few weeks nicely timed for when I've got a wedding, visits to family and friends I haven't seen in far to long, and lots of long distance travelling amongst other things. Sweet in that of course hopefully it'll help with seizures!

Stay well X

1 comment:

  1. I am taking that med as well. I started it here in the US the day after it first came out in 2009, and I went 3 months seizure-free! A record for me. Although my body got used to it and the seizures returned, I still think that the Vimpat has reduced them a bit- I have only had good experience with it. Good luck :):):)
    PS- It's also hard to get in the US; usually have to give the pharmacy a cal ahead to get the next day, and it is expensive, because of the new patent.

    ReplyDelete