Thursday 7 July 2011

Back to life, Back to reality

Aaaaaaaand I'm back! 

So yes I am back in Wales after going away for over a week to Henley on Thames. I went because I needed some pennies and it was the week of the Henley Royal Regatta. A world famous rowing event. And the place I used to work just so happens to be located overlooking the finishing line. Which means for them that this event is the biggest on the calender which inturn means jobs for us not so rich and famous types! Although the regatta only takes place over five days I went for over a week as Henley is where I spent a lot of time growing up. So I had people to see and places to visit and my goodness did it bring back some memories :)

My waitressing job at Phyllis Court was my first ever 'proper' job. I started when I had just turned 16 literally sitting in a marquee for five days slicing up fruit for the Pimms and clearing tables amongst the thousands of people attending the Regatta. 2005 gosh it seems so long ago! Anyway after I finished my weeks work at the club, a few weeks later I had a phone call asking if I would be interested in further work... and that was that. From then on I worked every hour I could amongst studying at college which quite frankly meant I didn't really have much of a life... but I did have plenty of money which of course meant I could go travelling and and pay for my own driving lessons and car etc. It was the prefect job for that time of my life. With brilliant people :) Anywho it was lovely to go back for the week and see everyone and catch up on life etc and of course there is always the famous after-regatta staff party. All I will say is it was EPIC as usual!

The bad news is I had a big seizure that involved me mashing my elbow and right side into what I'm assuming was my suitcase and some shoes etc that were on the floor. Said elbow and side now have some rather lovely looking scrapes and bruises which infortunately I had to walk around with wearing a short sleeved shirt on some busy shifts of work. Not Fun. But whilst it raised a lot of questioning from people I had last seen a year ago when Epilepsy didn't exist in my life, it was ok to talk about it. It just strengthens the fact that these things happen and no shame of guilt should come from it at all :) So it was just a matter of questions asked, honest answers given, a few interesting discussion and then carry on working. I love that it's ok.There of course where a few things that I couldn't do that I used to. Little things that you wouldn't usually bat and eyelid at like serving tea during the afternoon tea sessions... yeah scalding hot water and seizures DO NOT mix!!! Also where I would have usually worked for 16 hours shifts everyday for the whole thing this time I only did the 8 hour day shifts. There is no way I could have worked the hours I used too energy wise. Plus with working and little sleep... thats just asking for E. related trouble! But I explained my reasons for certain adjustments and all was fine. OHHH and they gave me my usual supervisory role which basically means your incharge of a 'section' looking after a certain number of tables and staff. Usually it's stressful but fine but of course this year I had the added memory problems and I really didnt think I would be able to make a good job of it. But as far as I'm aware everything went smoothly so WOOOO!

So, it was busy, hectic, mad, rushed, hot, heavy, posh, rude and many many more things but at the end of the day everything was a success and we all had a good laugh along the way :D plus of course there's always the pay cheque to look forward too!  

I met up with friends and went for walks, picnics, dinner out, general little catch ups, a day out in Windsor and plenty more :D  It was a nice to spend some time where I spent my teenage years growing up. Strange though to walk around the town knowing I don't and will never live there anymore.....But I know it's always there to visit and so on... So until next time Henley!

Now I'm back home to an empty house for a few months which will take some getting used to. I have my little life savers around and about on the other end of a the phone should anything too drastic happen. What I would do without some people is beyond me!  X

2 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting that you mentioned how no shame or guilt should come of having a seizure- I have those same feelings after I have seizures. It's hard to overcome, but I am not the only one, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I guess it's the affect it has on the people around you aswell. I'm forever being told to stop apologising by friends and family haha but I just can't help feeling the need to apologise for the seizures and reprecussions! And I suppose the shame comes from not having any control over the situation..
    As much as I say no shame or guilt should be felt and I'm constantly reminded of this from the people around me :) I still find it pretty much impossible not to! Hope you're well :D

    ReplyDelete