Wednesday 22 June 2011

EEG Investigation + Giggles

What's an unusual way to start a Wednesday?

Mine today was attached to a computer via electrodes allowing my brain waves to be read. Yep I had an EEG this morning. Here's a link for more info :)... electroencephalogram 

I'll explain how it took place...
I was taken to a little side room in the hospital and sat up on the bed. The nurse measured my head, marked certain areas with a pen and attached what I think she said was 26 electrode pads to my scalp. They do this using abrasive gel. It was kind of like a really thick hair gel. After this the bed is adjusted so you can lie back further and given a pillow. The machines are checked to make sure all electrodes are placed correctly and conducting well. The lights are then switched off, you lay back relaxed keeping still with your eyes closed and the test begins.  Your eyes are closed during the most of the test with the nurse telling you whether to open or close them at various intervals. This particular EEG was to last for 30 minutes and was videoed. During this time the nurse instructs you to do various things. Including opening and shutting you eyes, deep breathing and also be shown a flashing light at various strobing speeds. Once the session is over the nurse will detach all the electrodes and wipe away as much of the gel as possible. The results are then sent off to the neurologist to be examined. The whole appointment takes about an hour. Done.

OK so serious part aside... despite being rather nervous about the whole thing it was surprisingly funny.  I mean come on check out the photo...The nurse was really lovely and chatty which was nice plus I was able to take a friend in with me as well which of course made the whole thing a little less stressful. 

Now I don't know what it is but when I get nervous I just cannot stop giggling... which made for a very funny laughing session between the three of us. It was so hard to try and control it and lie there doing as I was told that's for sure! Better to have smiles than tears though :)

There were a few things I had to do during the test including 3 minutes of deep breathing. This was a very strange thing to do while your lying on the bed in front of your friend and a nurse... and as a a result was beyond funny! My lips where tingling by the end of it which I'm assuming was due to the lack of oxygen. OHHH and then there was the strobe light. I didn't like this bit AT ALL. Now being into photography I'm used to flashes and I've been blinded a fair few times in the studios but this was just horrible. It was so bright and very close to my eyes... by the time the flashing was over my eyes were aching and trying to see straight was a bit of an issue... I can't remember how long this bit of the test lasted but its seemed to go on forever :/ but hey no seizures that I'm aware of during that so woo!

And the whole thing was being recorded on camera...nice!

So as much as lying in a strange room on a bed in front of two people watching you, with your brain attached to machines TRYING not to laugh was very surreal, all in all there really wasn't that much to be nervous about. And apart from leaving with a headache and hair like I hadn't brushed or washed it for weeks it was one of the least painful tests to be had :)

Now I've just got to wait to hear from my neurologist (yay..) I'm due an appointment very soon anyhow so hopefully it won't be too much of a wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment