Tuesday 7 June 2011

Music from the heart

Forgive my non existent musical terminology but wouldn't it be amazing to be part of an orchestra?!

I've just been rifling through my music collection. I have everything on there from drum and bass to chillout and from rock to jazz. If I leave my media player on random some of the most random music can be heard! This it what I just did whilst pottering around my room. And the absolutely stunning sounds of the film Inception's soundtrack started playing. It's funny what some things do for people but I just stopped, sat down and listened to the sounds. The power that orchestra's can give out is fascinating. So now here I am having left what I was doing to sit and go through all the more classical side of music I have hidden within my collection, and it's got me thinking... along with bringing back some memories..

There was one time in my life that I was part of a concert that was truly inspiring. It was in my second to final year at secondary school in 2004. The year a devastating tsunami hit Thailand. The music department of my school decided to hold a tribute to all those affected. My music teacher decided on Gabriel Faure's Requiem. I was part of the school choir (it most definitely is not a well known fact I can sing soprano... Shhhh it's reserved for very special occasions :p) and we joined the school's orchestra to perform all seven movements of the piece. To be part of something like that was incredible.

I also used to learn classical piano. I LOVED it I really, really did. I was relatively young at the time and unfortunately there came a time when my family couldn't afford my lessons anymore and ended up selling our piano. I can still play the odd piece and when I just happen to be walking past a piano in someones house or something I always have an overwhelming urge to sit down and play with the keys. My youngest sibling who is 10 years my junior now learns which is nice to see/hear. I always thought it would be lovely to start learning again. Apart from scales and sight reading, skills that have been engraved on my brain from a very young age, I've pretty much forgotten everything else I learnt. 

I would have to choose a particularly expensive instrument to love... Maybe a string instrument would be interesting to try... OHHHH the Cello... that would be fantastic, Yo-Yo Ma <3 siiiigh may be one day :) Need to work on my short term memory first I think!!

You see on TV people playing with such passion that it's as if they're in their own worlds. Totally absorbed. How that must feel I would love to know. I don't suppose it's something you can truly explain though :)  There is something quite incredible about music that can induce emotions from deep inside and literally take your breath away :)

Here's an incredible example of perhaps the most recognisable movement of Faure's Requiem - Pie Jesu :)


1 comment:

  1. Of course I have to say I totally agree with you! Being a musician, and getting to play in orchestra, it's the greatest thing ever. Of course, as you may have read in my blog, it is my seizures that have prevented me from auditioning for a pro job, so I get very frustrated.
    If you want Skype or iChat clarinet lessons. . .haha!! I will give them to you! We'll just have to work out the time difference. hehe.
    Here's a clip of me playing in orchestra:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7197329
    (you'll have to cut and copy the link I guess).
    It is Brahms. Symphony 4.
    That is if you can recognize the clarinet solos.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete