Monday 13 June 2011

Disability Inclusion Training - Cardiff

I'm currently part way through a 4/5 stay in Cardiff. I have to go into hospital which is closer to Cardiff than it is to where I live so thought it would be better to just stay in Cardiff with a friend *Thank You!!!* Yesterday I spent the day taking part in a Disability Inclusion Training course. I was offered the opportunity to take part in this course as a compliment to offering my time to be a photographer for an event called Wheelchair Sports Spectacular with Disability Sport Wales taking place on Friday and Saturday I can't wait for this!! Anyway back to the course.. it was so good! I'm so glad I took up the opportunity :) I've learnt so much from legislation to helping to tackle physical obstacles that may be faced by someone who has a disability. Very fascinating and enlightening indeed! The morning consisted of all theory based learning which involved a lot of teamwork and scenario based roles and how to overcome social attitudes etc. The afternoon was three hours of practical. We did everything from learning how to adapt various sports and activities. Incredibly interesting and fun! We all had a go at trying out various sports whilst we were at it including volleyball on our knees, wheelchair basketball and rounders :) I used to love playing volleyball in school brought back some memories! 

It was so good to be in an environment where everyone just got with on another not matter who we were and played game after game whilst learning at the same time. What could be better!?! 



I would recommend the course to anyone DIT course (Wales) this is the one I took but there are plenty of different ones around the world :)

Any who today the friend I am staying with is away studying at hospital so I'm just being lazy and hanging around her house catching up on life emails phone calls etc fun fun and maybe the odd nap... but I am also playing around with her guitar teaching myself some chords :D! I love it! I do have a guitar myself but I haven't plucked away at the strings or AGES I've never learnt it was just something I could teach myself whenever I got bored. It's sat gathering dust but I'm seriously considering getting it re strung and slowly teaching myself again. It's very therapeutic :) 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so interesting!!! Very very cool!!

    ReplyDelete