Friday 21 January 2011

The seizure, the tutorial and the receptionist.

Despite finding myself to have had a seizure at some point during the night last night  (I found myself on a pile of books and folders by the side of my bed rather than in it... and the scuffs down my arms and side along with a 'dodgy' hip....) Today was a good day all in all :)

Firstly I had a tutorial for my university work that went a million times better than I thought it would. I was quite frankly scared that my tutor would tell me my work just wasn't up to scratch or the quantity would not have been a high enough level for me to even think about attempting the assessment. There has been a lot of talk lately of taking out extenuating circumstances for my practise and for my dissertation. Yes the thought has crossed my mind.. so much so that it keeps me awake at night wondering what I should do. 

Questions and choices seem to have a habit of whirling around in my head in a freakingly fast rate!!

I can pretty much say that for my practical work at least I will NOT be taking out extenuating circumstances to gain extra time. I won't go to much into detail about the whole thing but despite  it seeming to be a brilliant opportunity to gain extra time to study has its repercussions. One of them being that it will eat into time that I need to spend elsewhere. And as much as some poeple would jump at the chance of extra time I have to think realistically and take everything in account. Life type things are pretty fragile at the moment so decisions like that are HUGE.

As for my dissertation... well that's still undecided to be honest.

Anyway during a general life discussion with my tutor during my tutorial (always a well needed and good place to vent) the subject of "why on earth have I not had any tests yet?!" came up. After explaining that notes had been misplaced, I was taken off the surgeries register etc etc... my tutor announced that I should just go to my doctor and cry. Good advice I'd say! I didn't do that though..just for the record... BUT I did decide to put my foot down and go to the surgery to demand some answers as to wether the neurology appointments etc I am STILL waiting for were in any way delayed because of the mistakes with my notes. For once there was a receptionist that was extremely helpful :D She calmly and with a smile (always a welcome sight) explained that no the appointments will not have been affected and I should just ring this number and find out where I am on the waiting list. Done. Simple. Now why on earth could this not have happened last time I went to find out what was going on?!??
So off I went home and rang the number she gave me. BINGO! I now know that my appointment will be sometime in the middle of February depending on the date I choose from a choice of three that will be given to me via a letter that should be arriving in the next week or so. 

YES!!!!!! I finally know around abouts when I might just get somewhere with whats going on inside my head.
This makes for a very happy Jade :)

XX

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jade, I'm a university student going through similar issues right now, so I want to encourage you to keep on writing! While epilepsy is something that should never be wished upon anyone, it is reassuring to see others experiencing the same plight and trying to get through school, early adult life, etc. You're a strong young woman and act as an inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also an artist (well, a musician), and I got through college with lots of seizures!, and I am getting through graduate school even! You can do it!
    :):)

    ReplyDelete