Thursday 27 January 2011

After a hugely refreshing full night sleep last night I've been busy gathering some more research ready for an assessment on Tuesday. 
My current university work is very basically trying to represent the sensations and experience of states consciousness felt during a seizure using myself and personal experience as subject.

Installation shot of Bill Viola's video piece - 'The Stopping Mind'
 
One of my main influences has been the artist Bill Viola. I find his work quite simply incredible. Anyway one of his pieces of video work titled 'The Stopping Mind' has truly grabbed my attention recently. Along with the video comes a voice over by the artist himself. It's quite long so I won't post the entire thing on here.. but there are a couple of quotes I have found from within it that I just have to share. 

“I see nothing. There is nothing. There is no light. There is no darkness. There is no volume. There is no distance. 
There is no sound. There is no silence. There is the sensation of space, but there is no image. “

Obviously I can't say the same for anyone but myself. But this quote pretty much sums up what I am trying to represent in my work. Along with:

“I imagine the black space. I imagine the silence. The darkness of no image. The silence of no sound. I imagine my body. I imagine my body in this dark space. The space is like a cloud of soft cotton, silent and weightless.” 

As I can’t remember the unconscious stage of a seizure all I can do is imagine what it is like. Again with this quote it’s as if Bill Viola has read my mind!
It’s very hard to imagine and a difficult subject to portray but hopefully I’ll get there. :) There are other stages of consciousness that I am looking at representing directly related to a seizure too. 
Better get on with it! 

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment