Tuesday 5 June 2012

Grad show medley

I'm currently tucking into a delicious medley of melon which fits pretty well with the last few days as they have included a whole mixture of events making up a medley in themselves! Contemplating everything that has happened brings up a whole range of emotions.. The brilliant week has been stressful, busy and tiring setting up and preparing for the photography graduation exhibition but it really couldn't have been anymore worth it!! 

Friday morning was a very strange one... I happened to meet my tutor when I arrived at the exhibition space and he said he had a job for me to do that day. When I asked what it was he told me that my tutors and some of the students from the college I studied at from 2005 to 2007 were coming down for a visit and he wanted me to present to them, telling them how it was to study photography at Newport. Now given that I graduated from college five years ago it was a huge blast from the past!! I recognised the college tutors straight away and chatted to them for a while before myself and fellow student made our way over to present to the fresh-faced group of students that had gathered amongst the artwork on the walls. It was nerve-wrecking talking in front of my old and current tutors and the students but I think we did ok :)  

Friday night was the opening of our graduation exhibition. I can't quite put into words what this meant to me and I'm sure everyone else that took part. I know that it felt amazing, exciting and sad all at the same time. The show is a culmination of all three photography courses here at Newport and brings together all the effort of our studying towards our degrees and of course signifies the end of our time at university. The space was packed with people looking around all the artwork, chatting away and for some, catching up after a long time apart. It was so lovely to see my friends I had not seen for far too long most of which had graduated last year when I was originally supposed to. Some of my family also came down to visit for the evening which topped off a brilliant and memorable night!

There was an after party following the event and well I have to be honest and say that I had a few drinks... and them some more. The party itself was sooo much fun!! It felt so good to be able to just relax for an evening with a whole bunch of people celebrating an amazing achievement :) it felt just like the good old days! 

Saturday I went for lunch with some friends who had come to visit from far away to see the show, we met up with another friend of ours who also graduated last year. We'd all been at the opening the night before and well lets just put it this way... given that I rarely ever drink any alcohol whilst they all happily ate there nice scrummy pub meals... I had to sit there and watch feeling VERY hungover. I did order a meal but in the end I had to just stare at it the whole time. In a strange way even though I felt incredibly ill, it felt quite good to actually have a hangover.. it felt 'normal' for them to be giggling at me while I sat there trying not to vomit, given that it was totally self induced for once!! 

Sunday was spend invigilating the exhibition for the afternoon. It was nice to chat away sitting all cosy in amongst the work while it poured with rain outside. It wasn't so nice having to wait for a bus in it...


Tomorrow a few of us are meeting with an external examiner... I'm not too sure what we're supposed to do to be honest but I guess I'll have to wait and see :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment