Thursday 14 June 2012

Another EEG


Tuesday morning was spent in my local Neurophysiology department with electrodes glued to my head for an EEG, just a short one, I was in and out in an hour. This was the second one I've ever had, my first being about a year ago. I had the same nurse as last year which was nice and while she hooked me up to the computer we chatted about life, jobs and affects seizures have on everything etc it was quite interesting actually and she was brilliantly honest about future prospects of living with epilepsy. Some good, some not so good.  But I'll dwell on that at a later date it all came up as she asked what I planned on doing now I've finished uni and well... I'm still on a high about finishing uni at all... so I'm just living in the moment for now and not worrying about the future just yet :)   

It's a pretty simple procedure, you go into a room lie on a bed and have many electrodes stuck to various areas of your head and one on each shoulder. The wires from the electrodes then connect up to a computer that relays your brainwaves to the screen. During the test you are asked to open and close your eyes at certain times but most of the time your eyes are closed. At various intervals you are asked to complete tasks such as heavy breathing with more emphasis on the out breath lowering the amount of oxygen you are taking on board, I did this for 3 minutes and ended up with very tingly lips by the end of it!! Another test they perform is flashing a strobe light very close to your eyes at various speeds for different amount of time. It can be very uncomfortable... and seems to go on forever. Oh and you're also videoed so they can review it and match up surface movement to brain stuff... always fun! 

Just have to sit and wait for the results to come through now then see where we go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment