Wednesday 23 November 2011

Emergency "rescue" meds

I have been prescribed Clobazam tablets as a rescue medicine.  

This morning at about 4.30AM was the first time I've had to use the medicine though thankfully... and get this... IT WORKED!!! 

I woke myself up this morning with a large Complex Partial seizure much like one I had about a week ago. All I remember is 'coming out of it' and sitting in bed completely disorientated and confused, it's sounds silly now but I couldn't figure out why I was in bed. Anyway I calmed down and tried to sleep again but kept feeling dizzy and getting strange sensations in my fingers and head then wind up finding myself sitting in bed wondering what had happened again. I managed to take the Clobazam tablet (which was ready  waiting for a moment like this in my bedside draw) and well, I can't say how much time it took but I don't remember waking up again until my alarm went off. I did have to sleep an extra hour to avoid being a complete zombie for the day but surprisingly when my alarm went off the second time an hour later I was pretty refreshed. I had a study tutorial later in the morning and I was quite cognitively slow. It's nearly eight in the evening now and I am about ready for bed tiredness wise but all in all a pretty good experience. I have to take it again tomorrow night and the following to help stop any falling back into 'seizure mode' I call it, then i can come back off it again and done. 

Let me explain why I needed it in the first place...

There are days when I have numerous partial seizures. I have plenty a day as it is but there are certain times where I get stuck in this continual chain of seizures. They are singular seizures, sometimes they may have an hour between and some may have only seconds before going into another one. These days are awful. Sometimes I notice I am having lots through simple things like missing bits of a program I am watching etc. One of the biggest give away's though is the massive need for sleep and even walking down the stairs wipes me out and my balance becomes pretty much non existent so I end up having to lie in bed again. Annoying.

So now if I have a day where I experience lots of seizures within a few hours I can take these meds in an attempt to bring the seizures to a halt. They in effect slow the 'excitable' sparks and connections within the brain down to prevent seizures. There is a downside of course... they literally slow the brain down and when my brain slows down, I slow down. But that's a million times better than seizure after seizure believe me!!!

I really can't complain :)

1 comment:

  1. YEAH JADE!!! That is so awesome!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete