Saturday 28 September 2013

Double Force Neurology Appointment

Wednesday morning I went along to my neurology appointment and I have to say it was the most productive and informative appointment I have ever had.

It's always an anxious time sitting in the waiting room. I think its because once you are through those doors you really do have no idea whats is about to be said and how it will effect your life from then on. 

I was waiting to see my doctor when another lady called me into her office instead. I had never met her before but I quickly found she was lovely and seriously meant some business when it comes to trying to sort these seizures of mine out. She told me she had read through my notes herself and asked me how I was feeling about everything and what life is like at the moment. About five minutes into my appointment there was a knock at the door and my regular and wonderful neurologist walked in. They were both shocked at the injury I gained from my seizure at the weekend and were intrigued into exactly how it had happened. After explaining Sundays and Mondays events we all sat there going through my recent notes and hospital stays. My hospital admittance during the summer for 10 days (which I still haven't blogged about because it really was a scary time) threw up some problems which still need to be addressed. We discussed everything though in order to figure what the next immediate step would be.  

The outcome from the appointment is that they are now starting me on a new medicine. There was a choice of two... but the doctors were discussing which one would be better and to be honest I can't remember which one they went with in the end, so I will have to wait until the letter gets to me and my GP before I can find out. I was also asked to send them a copy of all the videos taken over the years of my seizures so they can sit down with the whole team and go through them and all my notes to decide what happens next with my case. They are going to review me in two months time to see how everything is going. During this time I am to let my neurologist know immediately if anything out of the ordinary or of particular note happens.

Taking three different anti-seizures medications is going to be hard going, being on just the two is a hard enough task. So lets see how life with seizures plans out until then. 

6 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed the new meds work. I'm interested to know which ones they've put you on xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks me too! It'll either be Carbamazepine or Oxcarbazepine I just got confused which one haha they said them so many times! Find out in a week or to then fingers crossed :) xxx

      Delete
  2. Carbamazepine is usually pretty good from what I've heard. Haven't really heard much about the other one though. I hope the side effects aren't too bad. I always dread starting new meds cause you feel pretty crappy for the first few weeks. I'll be thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is on Carbamazepine - also known as Tegratol. Like all AEDS there are side affects, but those differ from person to person. It turned out to be his wonder drug. The first one that ever worked. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it's all sounding good to hear :) I'm really hoping this could be the one and the side effects aren't unbearable! Just have to wait and see which one it actually is I thing by the sounds of it they're both pretty similar mind so in theory if Carbamazepine is good then may be the other one will be too..? we'll see :D Hope you're both well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course :) I've tried to figure out Google+ to contact you but who knows if it's worked. My email's jade.dolby@hotmail.co.uk if it's any easier, Jade

    ReplyDelete