Saturday 13 November 2010

How my epilepsy showed it face!


Excuse the essay...

 Just over a week ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy. It started when at the end of August I found myself out in the garden at the bottom of some steps freezing cold with cuts and scrapes all down me finished off with a big knock to the head. (Trust me it was BEAUTIFUL...!) Looking back I probably should have got myself to hospital but I didn’t. 

Then in the following weeks as I just carried on working my ass off allllll summer a few different people on different occasions told me that I had just stopped talking or paying attention mid conversation as if I’d just got bored with was being said then carried on talking a moment later. I didn’t really think anything of it until it happened when I was talking with my boss (someone I really didn’t want to annoy). So after bringing it up with a close friend only for her to say that she too had noticed that I wasn’t acting quite like my normal self off I went to see a GP. Obviously freaking out that I’d damaged my brain or something!!! I explained my story and that I had fallen a few weeks previous and knocked my head. I had immediate blood tests and an ECG. Only to be told a few days later that they were clear and I had been referred to a neurologist. It was a very long wait to say the least and in the seven weeks it took to see the neurologist I “found myself on the floor” a further seven times increasing with frequency. Two of those times I ended up in A+E at the request of my GP and a university nurse because I had hit my head. More tests were carried out while I was in hospital including more ECG’s bloods, urine (lovely) and a chest X-ray... not too sure why on the X-ray but hey..! Again all clear.  And just for future reference there is a surprising amount of fun to be had in A+E depending on the staff that are looking after you *THANK YOU* and once your conscious of course...(this helps) 

 Anyway frustratingly none of these ‘episodes’ have been witnessed! I seem to have impeccable timing when it comes to them happening when I’m alone. Well accept from the absences. But then the only way I know that has happened is when I suddenly realised the person I’m talking to IS looking at me like I’ve just turned into an alien... 

Anywho I went to see a neurologist and after her taking a history and having an exam was told I had epilepsy. I am now waiting for an EEG and MRI to try to figure what’s causing it and rule out anything that may be lurking. They have put me on some lovely medicine called Keppra and I am currently on 500 mg per day for the next week and upping the dose as the weeks go on. It messes with you.

Sooo that’s just how it is for now... it’s all VERY VERY strange for the moment, and the ‘seizures’ (still wierd saying that) just keep on coming. Delightful.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I ran across your blog and I couldn't help but comment. My oldest brother has had epilepsy for 21 years. I'm only 24, so I don't remember him before being diagnosed with seizures. I just wanted to say that although it takes awhile to find the right therapies to treat and manage seizures, it is possible. My brother hasn't had a seizure in years. I know how scary and frustrating it can be and I wish you luck on your journey to live without seizures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2348142454860 He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS A&B,CHRONIC DISEASES, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EPILEPSY, STROKE, LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN. .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com...or whats APP him ..+2348142454860 he is a real good and honest man.
    website... https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete