Monday 4 February 2013

Dangerous levels

Ok so the rash I have come down since Thursday has turned out to be a reaction to my dose of Vimpat :( I had a horrible rash and feeling worse and worse over the days. I was so drained and exhausted I spent most of yesterday fast asleep, I've been sporting a deathly shade of pale and getting around without feeling like I was going to fall over was near on impossible. My poor immune system was stuck in a yo-yo trying to fight with it. 

The doctor I saw was lovely, asked my history, took one look at me and told me I was suffering a reaction without a doubt. She took her time with me and after examining me and carefully talking through everything I found my self smiling with her. I'm lucky I was seen by a doctor sooner rather than later with an obvious symptom as it increases quickly and could have easily become toxic in little time. Interestingly she said because I have such a petite frame and build, I need to be considered more towards a large childs dose than an adults as I could easily overdose myself and need to take smaller steps when increasing or lowering doses of my meds. This has come up before when I was in hospital during the summer and had to take a childs dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen instead of an adults measurement. No wonder I feel so rubbish even after taking some simple painkillers!

This means I have to go back down to my safe dose that I was previously on. I have been told by the doctor to get in contact with my neurologist ASAP and explain what has happened and what to do next.  I'm at a loss of what to do now though as I'm on a high dose of Keppra and can go no higher on the Vimpat. Where to go from here is the question...

Now I just have to wait it out until my body gets rid of the extra Vimpat which should be by the end of the week. I just need time to focus on getting back to my regular self again, I can't wait to start feeling better!

No comments:

Post a Comment