Thursday 19 January 2012

Importance of tomorrow.

At 2PM tomorrow I have an assessment feedback meeting with my tutor and I will find out if my decision to suspend studies half way through my final year of my degree last year was worth it. 

Last March about 4 months after being diagnosed with Epilepsy I made one of the hardest decisions in life so far. That was to leave my course, my course mates and to pause life as I knew it studying photographic art. The seizures, the diagnosis and the medication etc all lead to a whole load of stress that I tried to carry for as long as I could but eventually I was became completely drained and I fell behind with the coursework meaning could no longer keep up with everyone and everything. The decision to leave was truly gutting, I felt like I had failed and Epilepsy had beaten me. If I am completely honest until I left I didn't realise just how HUGELY IMPORTANT this degree is to me.

Despite my seizures still being uncontrolled and I am in fact having more seizure types, I am now back at university re-sitting the year and I'm half way through. Last week we had an assessment to see how far we have come with our work, and where will take it in the next few months.

I've kept relatively quiet about being nervous about finding out my results but I REALLY cannot explain how much it means to me just to be that bit more progressed this year compared to last, in terms of the level of work I have done. I've tried as hard as I can and deep down I feel I have taken a step forward :) 

I've decided that if my grades are at least the same as last year and my tutors are happy then all the tiredness, stress and hard work will have been worth it. 

Only time will tell! :) 

1 comment: