Monday 8 August 2011

Lacosamide, the ups + downs.

Today I'm not exactly feeling brilliant, feeling sick, dull headache, very tired but can't seem to sleep  and have absolutely no appetite (very strange for me.. I don't even fancy chocolate... WHAT!!!) So most of the day will probably be spent doing the dreaded "taking it easy" mostly involving lying on my bed. Fab. With nothing much else to focus on I thought it might be appropriate to post a little update on the medicine I've recently started taking, Lacosamide. 

I want to say how amazed I am at the effect it's had on seizures. In fact apart from a few absences, I've not had a single seizure in just over a week :D! By now I'm used to not getting my hopes up too high but, maybe this is a sign of positive things to come? Only time will tell :)

I feel nauseous quite a lot, not all the time though which is a plus point :) Headache upon headache more days than not which isn't so good some are so intense that they make me feel sick to the stomach and want to cry they hurt so much :( but mostly they are just regular headaches. My sleep is quite disrupted... some nights I can sleep a good 9/10 hours, one night in the last week I slept for over 12 straight through! Then there are nights where I barely sleep at all, I seem to wake up again and again for seemingly no reason. During the day though I seem to keep most of the tiredness at bay, mostly by distracting myself. But of course sometimes it just creeps up and overwhelms everything else so you have no choice but to sleep for a few hours. No fun!

Ooo one good thing though is that I was warned by several people including doctors and my nurse that the dizziness and effect on balance that Lacosamide has is very likely to become apparent... but apart from the odd tipping of balance I've barely noticed it at all :D Woo!

There are particularly bad days though like today. But we all have those from time to time.  

There is one thing playing on my mind though... it's not recommended that you take Lacosamide when you're pregnant. But what if I want to have children in a few years? If this medicine works will I have to unravel everything again and risk life being turned on it's head should seizures return? Hmmm something that I will have to bring up in my next appointment I think, just to get it off my mind. 

But given that at the moment I am increasing my dose weekly (another one tomorrow.. urgh..) I'm not doing all that bad. Fingers crossed the side effects will pass once my dose is stable :)

2 comments:

  1. I found this entry of yours as I've been looking for entries about Lacosamide, I just was offered the chance to take this to help me with seizures overnight. My doctor just passed it my way & gave me some samples to try it & I did last night, to feel extreme vertigo, headaches, restless, all this stuff. I know now that it's been a few months, has this gotten any better? My epilepsy blog is katzintheclouds.tumblr.com, if you go to my "Ask" box, you can comment & let me know your answers. It'll be easier for me to find your response :)

    I had to use my livejournal address to post this, but I don't use that anymore. I use the tumblr account.
    THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh i'm sorry i've only just seen this! For some reason I can't post anywhere on your page... sorry about that :(
    I'll respond on here just incase you view it again... I'm still going through gradual increases with my Vimpat, currently on 300mgs per day 150 morning 150 night. i get very bad headaches that can last for days and an increase in seizures initially. My balance is also effected to the extent that I stumble into things and almost constantly have bruises on my arms and legs. But again this does get better after a while, I think it just takes a while for the body to get used to the chemical changes from the meds. For me my partial seizures do become less due to the Vimpat which is a brilliant relief. I haven't found a dose that stops them completely though hence the increases but i'm hoping that it will :)
    I hope you are well, I will keep an eye on your blog and hopefully figure out a way to comment :)
    Jade x

    ReplyDelete