Tuesday 13 November 2012

A small worry.

A small worry in the grand scheme of things but I have to ring up with the results of my blood test tomorrow. Of course I'm hoping they find nothing wrong but at the same time I want an answer as to why I feel "low". My hair is a thinning mess and my nails are looking terrible. Before Epilepsy and all these meds (Keppra, Lacosamide, Gabapentin and occasional Clobazam) I had fine but thick hair and mega strong nails. I MUST be lacking in some vitamin or other surely?? I do take multivitamins everyday to try and counter balance the effects of the medicine along with a healthy diet (I'm no angel though chocolate is a must in my life..) but I just don't think its enough! I'd love to know what more I can do to shove these stupidly strong side effects where the sun doesn't shine! 

Like I said I know it's a stupid worry but I look in the mirror and constantly look grey, I've got used to that,  but now my hair is so thin it's REALLY noticeable to other people and something I can't hide under make-up :/ Don't get me wrong I don't mind talking to people about anything to do with seizures etc but epilepsy is a hidden disability after all, until it rears it's ugly head, and it is nice to hide it away when you can but it's getting harder to do so. 

OK well mini whinge over, back to life. 


2 comments:

  1. Jade
    I looked again at the listed side effects and it is Epilim that normally causes the hair loss, not Keppra. Might be worth a look at the list http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/AboutEpilepsy/Treatment/Antiepilepticdrugsusedinadults
    I don't think you should underestimate how much your body has gone through over the last two years and just how much medication you are taking.The difficulty with epilepsy is that the only way we know whether drugs work is to take them - and then to stop taking them. It's hardly scientific. It sounds like you are doing the right things with diet and exercise but ask the medics for help. It's what they are there for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link I'll have a good browse.

      I hope they find something :( a nice simple fix would be ideal too but nothing is easy eh? I spoke with my GP about it and he sent my for the blood test but he said other than that he wouldn't know what's causing it which isn't very helpful but honest I suppose. He did send my neuro team an electronic kick up the bum though so hopefully I'll get to see them sometime soon as well.

      x

      Delete