Tuesday 13 May 2014

Neuro Appointment May'14

It didn't exactly go to plan.

It's been nearly four years since I had my first known epileptic seizure and I'm still non the wiser as to why I started having them. I've gotten used to this fact though, despite the fact they carry out test after test, scan after scan in an attempt to find the answer, it may never arrive. Although it would be good to know why, I'm ok with not ever having an answer. What I'm not ok with, is being told that my seizures might never be controlled. My neurologist and I are not giving up hope though, that's for sure. He is a VERY honest doctor, something that I have the utmost respect for, I think it is one of the most important qualities anyone in the medical profession can have. During my appointment he told me that this may well be the case, I may never gain full control of my seizures. 

He wants to start me on another medication. What this new drug will be is not known yet, he wants to read through my notes thoroughly before deciding which one would suit me and my seizure frequency and type best. I have had near death experiences when it comes to medications side effects though and so both he and I are extremely wary of the consequences that may occur. In theory I would be better placed to start taking it in a controlled medical setting in order to monitor my reactions. A bed will try to be found for me however the pressure on the NHS is extreme and the likelihood of finding a hospital bed for this to happen within the next few months is small.

For now I am to increase the Levetiracetam (Keppra) again and keep a close diary on the effect it may of may not have on seizure frequency.

I will be seen again in 3 months if not before in an emergency. Onwards and upwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment