Tuesday 30 August 2011

One memory in particular

Last night I got home from four days away staying with my nan in Derby. It was a really good few days away for lots of little reasons. The main reason for the weekend was to celebrate my nan's 70th birthday by having a huge party with many of our family and plenty of nan's friends. It was amazing to see all my family again. Living so far away from them for all my life means that there are precious few occasions where as many of us as we can get together at one time. The party lead to me seeing members of the family I haven't since I was very young or have never met at all!

I haven't visited my nan's house for many years but I've spent much time there when I was younger. To walk through that front door again brought back many memories :) It pretty much looks, smells and sounds exactly as it used to. I stayed in the 'little bedroom' as we've always called it, exactly where I used to stay as a child. There is one thing that I remember particularly well about this little room. The light and sounds of the street and road out of the window. I grew up in North Wales surrounded by nothing but fields and the silence of the countryside. Whenever I used to come and stay at my nan's I would go to bed when told but instead of going to sleep I would stay awake as long as I could hoping not to get caught and stand and watch the world outside that window. The yellow light fighting its way through the curtains and the sounds of the seemingly endless stream of cars passing by on the street below. Something completely alien to a little girl growing up in the country. It fascinated me. 


It was so lovely to spend time with my family and especially my nanna. We had some good long chats. very much needed to be honest. I was supposed to be going to visit my dad in North Wales this week but I'm simply to tired to. All this travelling around Britain in the past month has really knocked it out of me. But hey a some time to relax in these last couple of weeks living alone and before university starts again will do the world of good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment